CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 26

Long Live the. . .

Several years ago, I was telling a friend (OK, many years ago because I don't even remember what friend I am referencing and it's quite possible they are no longer my friend) that I had to go to a dentist to get a crown. "That just means you're a princess!" they replied. Alright! I like that kind of thinking! (Actually, I hope this person is still my friend because I like that kind of optimism and silver-lining thinking.)

Well, 2 days ago I was dethroned, if you will. There I was, reading away like a good nursing student, getting ready for the first day of class, and chomping on some gum like the gum addict I am. I had started chewing when I felt something hard in my piece of gum. "Well that's odd", I thought. "Maybe the gum didn't get cooked/baked/made correctly because I can't get this one part to be squishy." So I kept chomping and chomping, still the whole thing wasn't chewy. I wanted to see what hard, unchewed gum looked like, so I pulled it out, moved it around in my fingers and saw that it was GOLD. I can't type my immediate thoughts because my grandparents read this on occasion, so assume it's a word or series of words I would never say in front of my grandparents. (I'll let you be the judge of which words they actually were.)

So I spent an entire day with half a tooth in my mouth and half a "tooth" in a plastic ziplock on my bathroom counter. I had to only chew on my right side (I don't believe I've ever done that), keep my tongue from drifting over to touch the half-tooth (gross!) and be petrified that a nerve would suddenly become exposed and send me into orbit if anything got near it. (I don't care how much I learn about anatomy, my imagination will probably always be bigger and more rediculous.)

But the best part of this entire experience was going to the dentist and having him chip away the old cement on the half-tooth and then some. There's apparently decay still going on, so he drilled and picked and chipped some of my half-tooth off. By the way, that's not fun, nor does it feel good.

But my crown was cemented back on which means I am, once again, a princess. Which is great because I am starting to come to terms with the fact that I probably will not marry Prince William.

0 comments: