CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 1

Snow Day

I don't care how old you are - a snow day is still a snow day. And in Oregon, the possibility of a snow day is just exciting. It's the anticipation of it all. You lay in bed the night before thinking about tomorrow with all the burning questions running through your head, making it oh-so-difficult to fall asleep. Are the weathermen totally wrong and there won't even get slush? What if they were too conservative and we get even more? How am I going to keep focused on studying when all I want to do is look out the window? What if I'm not able to make it to my lunch date? What if no one else wants to make a snowman with me? What if I miss the thought of my dog playing in the snow so much that I can't stop crying and can't finish my snowman? Do we have the recommended amounts of bottled water and top roman stashed away? Will the phone be ringing off the hook because I live with the only snow plower in the yellow pages?

And then I'm so exhausted because I haven't thought so hard or long all day that I fall asleep.

So I wake up this morning and the first thing I do - you know, besides the first thing everyone does in the morning - is look out the window.
OK, so there's no snow on the roof, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Check the other window.
No snow in the backyard either.
This is still OK because look at the sky - it's totally a snow sky.
Oh yeah, it's definitely going to snow sometime today.

And when it does, that innate reaction will kick in and, without fully realzing what I'm doing, I will heat up water to the point when it boils and I will pour it in a festive Christmas mug filled with hot chocolate powder. Then I will forget about the 1200 page book weighing in a 20 pounds in front of me and in it's place be thankful that I live somewhere that I don't take snow for granted or only see once every 10 years during a freak storm. I'll also be thankful (PATHETIC NERD ALERT) that I am right where I am and NOT celebrating a would be, could be, should be anniversary. "You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose provails." (Prov 19:21) Let's be thankful that purpose includes SNOW!!!

0 comments: