CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 15

2 Less Fish in the Sea

"I'm about to burst with song; I can't keep quiet about you. God, my God, I can't thank you enough."
Psalm 30:12

I've got great news: I finally get health insurance next year!!!

I'm sorry, maybe you don't understand my excitement, so let me explain. Since graduating from Linfield 6 years ago, I have never had normal health insurance provided by an employer, nor have I had a paid sick day. that means I have to purchase emergency insurance every six months that has a $5 million deductible and is so limited it basically only covers me if I get hit head on by an ice cream truck on a Tuesday.

OK, maybe this needs more explanation. I am going to be getting health coverage because
I'M GETTING MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I've been dating the love of my life (TLOML) for the past 6 months and on Sunday we got engaged. Here's how it went down. My family rented a cabin at Black Butte for a long weekend because we've gone there every year for the past 20 years or so and it's basically the greatest place on earth. . .or at least in the US. . .ok, the continental US. . .bottom line, it means a lot to me. We drove up Friday afternoon where it snowed in the pass.

Friday we climbed to the top of Black Butte and even got to climb the US Forest Service watchtower (which has a "no public access" sign which made it even cooler!) Up there we met Scotty, a forest ranger, who was shutting the tower down for the winter. It was 19 degrees outside of the tower, below 0 with the wind chill but inside it felt like 90 degrees (even though the thermometer said it was 33.)

TLOML, me, Linds, Ryan after delayering in the (literately) freezing ranger tower.

It was a long hike just to get up the tower AND there were ice chunks on the stairs.

From the summit: the meadow with Three Sisters mountains in the background.

And then Sunday morning it all went down. . .

We (TLOML and I) decided to walk through the meadow and watch the sunrise. How did I feel about this? totally awesome. He was going to score major bonus points. . .even if I woke up earlier than I have to for school and it was below freezing outside. So we walked through the meadow once & the sun wasn't up. So we walked back, fed & petted some horses.(feeding horses as it gets lighter)

Sun still wasn't up. But the partly cloudy sky was starting to turn from pink to orange to yellow. I'm now absolutely freezing but still highly enjoying myself as we just stand and hug and sway. (Girls: think of the end of Pride & Prejudice and you will get an exact replica of the scene!)
And ACTION!

Jon: so you had a pretty good weekend, huh?
Laura: yeah I did!
Jon: what did you like about it?
Laura: well, I'm pumped we rode our bikes, climbed Black Butte, danced in the moonlight by the lake last night (awesome!) and now we're watching the sunrise in the meadow.
Jon: well, you're going to be even more pumped because your boyfriend is going to ask you to marry him.
CUT!
It's at this point that I enter the Twilight Zone and basically freaking out. I could apply nursing school to this situation and diagnose myself with the following: Patient is at risk for humiliation related to marriage proposal, as evidenced by screaming, crying, jumping & incoherent speech. Yes, he got down on one knee to ask. Yes, I said yes. And after several minutes of saying "ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh" and continuous screaming, crying & jumping, Jon was able to hold my hand still for 2 seconds so I could have a ring on my finger.

Stay tuned for an event in early August!

The future Mrs. & Mr. Small. (Be careful what you wish for. .many times I have wished for a simpler last name and now I have it!)


Does Jon know what he's gotten himself into???

3 comments:

Blonde Ambition said...

Worz, it's Fasciona. Ordinarily, I avoid the obnoxious "Caps Lock" key, but if ever an appropriate time, this is it: HOLY RAVIOLI! I NEED YOUR PHONE NUMBER!
[Does Blogger include my email address when it notifies you of my comment? Should I leave a coded comment here so you can email me? Maybe I should just go back and check to see if your email address is included on your blog? IS THIS THING ON?]

Star Worz said...

HI!!!!!!!!!!!! How the heck did you find this blog??? Just write me at my old Linfield address. since I'm going to their nursing school now, I got to keep the same e-mail address.

Kevin Wecker said...

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG congrats to you, future Mrs. Small! How exciting! Awesome! What a thrill!

I am quite happy for you, my friend! But it leaves me to ask, "May I still call you Nurse Laura?"