CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 9

The L.O. experience

Stereotypes are just that - types of stereos. Actually they're an exaggeration of a characteristic that has some basis of truth (no matter how small.) I try my best not to stereotype: like the McMinnville "townies" (because us Linfield kids were just so much better), people in Alabama, even blondes.

I have lived on the other side of the tracks (a track called I-5) from Lake Oswego my entire life. I played against them in sports growing up and even lived there myself for awhile. So I know about the demographics. Heck, you can just drive through, notice all the imported non-Japanese cars and realize people here are wealthier than the other side of I-5. I try not to stereotype but it's really hard when I have experiences like yesterday.

I had some housesitting $$ that I wanted use so I thought it would be fun to get a mani/pedi from my usual L.O. spa. So there I am, in the middle of 2 Lake Oswegites, both who just reinforced stereotypes for me. . .

To my left, a high schooler. Tall, waify, bleach blonde. She was sporting a shirt from a store I hate (hint: the abbreviation has 2 letters and is rediculously expensive and CK cutoff jean shorts that were fraying and had holes (although I'm betting she bought them like that and hasn't actually had them for 2 year.) And on her lap was a "dog". I use quotes because it was under 5 pounds, which doesn't constitute a dog in my dictionary. It was a white fru-fru thing and was ironically named, "Kujo." Ahhhh, how cute. Accessories included a purse that was too small to fit her phone in & a jeweled phone cover.

To my right, a business women. Tall (but that could be due to the 6 inch pumps) in a very nice black suit with a black blouse. She was either on her PDA the entire time or talking on the phone. Apparently her son, Connor, is an excellant lacrosse player and her husband has received many compliments on his coaching abilities from other parents. She also has another son Jack, but from what I gathered, he either doesn't like lacrosse or isn't old enough to play yet. And something needed to be sent to someone the very next morning at work.

And then there's me. Sporting my Gap outlet jeans, hand-me-down Old Navy sweater and size-to-small-but-that's-OK-because-they're-cute-and-the-last-ones-here Target shoes. Luckily the ghetto of Tigard is just a hop, skip & a jump away where I'll be the best dressed chick in the neighborhood!

2 comments:

Kevin Wecker said...

Hear hear!

Crazy enough, too, their car insurance is cheaper just because they can afford it. While we, those not from L.O., must pay an additional amount because the words "Lake" or "Oswego" are not in our city's name!

Ricole said...

I'm still trying to figure out the brand of clothes the girl was wearing! That's how out of date I am. If its not Old Navy or Target, I don't know it! A&F? TELL ME!