CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 21

That's all.

OK, I am a bit freaked right now. But being a person who does not believe in coincidences, I'm pretty freakin' excited. So here's the set-up. . .

I thought it would be funny to buy everyone in my department a gag gift this year. Luckily everyone has pretty distinct personalities or is the butt of a daily recurring joke so it was easy to pick things out at the dollar stores or certain Internet auction sites. One person in our office, I'll call him Pete - which works out nicely because that's his real name - thinks for some wacky reason that I am his secretary. Several times a day I am asked to take dictation or file for him ("Take this down!") and several times a day I politefully & respectfully decline. ("Are you on crack?")

So what would be a perfect gift for a very demanding "boss" than the movie The Devil Wears Prada? I saw and loved the moview in the theater when it came out. And I loved it so much that when it arrived at my house I watched a large chunk of the movie (like almost all of it) every night. For a week. It's the kind of movie you can throw on and watch a bazillion times and never get tired of. (I also do this with Pride & Prejudice and The Office - season 2.) I like TDWP so much that I wanted to keep it for myself. I didn't want to give it up. So I started looking for a new gift for Pete. But I couldn't come up with anything. So I wrapped it up and bid a tearfully good-bye to Anne & Meryl on Wednesday.

It is now Friday morning. The place: Shilo Inn on Canyon. The event: Retail Admin holiday breakfast. We're halfway through the gift exchange when it's my turn to pick or steal. Nothing seems steal-worthy so I head for the table of wrapped gifts. There is one that is clearly a DVD by the size and weight of the package. All right, I can always use another movie I thought. I unwrapped the top & there is Miranda Priestly's face. I let out a sound that can only be best described as a shriek that only dolphins can hear. I pretty sure I jumped too. (Did I mention I'm cool?) So of course I told everyone the background story that you just read and ended with "If anyone takes this, I really will cry." They already feel sorry for me because I'm the only ETW and won't be getting paid for 7 days, so the threat of tears should have sealed the deal.

Sorry to say, but this is WAY more than a coincidence. So now I am the proud owner of The Devil Wears Prada. This is the best Christmas ever!!! OK, maybe the year I got the David Duchovney action figure takes the cake. But this is a close runner up!

0 comments: