CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 26

I Run For Life

"I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth"
-Melissa Ethridge, "I Run For Life"
This weekend was the Tigard Relay for Life, a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Almost every city in the Portland area has one over the summer and this year was Tigard's first solo relay. I've been helping for the past 6 months and it was so fantastic to see this event come to life! We raised over $12,000 (!!!) and even though it was like the 2nd hottest day of the year, I somehow managed to avoid a sunburn - go figure. Luckily there was a dunk tank, water balloons, a hose and a 7-11 nearby to keep everone hydrated.

The first lap of the relay goes to cancer survivors. Will someone please hand me a tissue?


One of our entertainment segments - hula dancers. We also had an 11-year-old rock band that dazzled us with hits from Nirvana, The Doors, The Beatles and Greenday, and someone who played on the main stage at this year's Blues Festival.


The whole point of this relay: to give HOPE. A display of candles during the Luminaria ceremony where names of cancer victims are read. Good thing I hung onto that box of kleenex.

0 comments: